A slip and fall accident can result in a number of debilitating and even life-threatening injuries, such as brain trauma or pelvic fractures. Some injuries, however, may not be immediately apparent. Examples include a concussion or certain back injuries.
A thorough and prompt medical examination can protect your long-term health and wellbeing. This step also is crucial for those victims wishing to take legal action against a negligent property owner or occupier as it :
- creates a record of your medical injuries ;
- demonstrates you are focused on recovery; and
- provides evidence to help place a value on your injuries .
Continue to stay in contact with your health care providers and follow your doctor’s instructions to the best of your abilities. This includes abstaining from work or other physical activities until you have been cleared to do so.
Report your accident to the proper local authorities. Ask for a copy of the accident report. Notify the property owner or occupier of the accident and hazard. Ensure you have secured photos or other evidence of the hazard before the property owner has a chance to remedy the defect.
Hire a slip and fall lawyer as soon as your injuries allow. A lawyer assumes all responsibilities in handling your claim, including filing all necessary notices and requesting and reviewing evidence for your claim. An experienced lawyer can also help with determining :
Questions to ask a potential lawyer may include:
- what type of doctor is best suited to treat your particular injury ;
- how you are going to pay for treatment while your claim is in process; and
- which doctors have been paid so as to avoid debt collection hassles in the future.
Most law firms offer free case evaluations. Use them as your opportunity to select a lawyer who is best suited for your case. Questions to ask during the initial interview include :
- How many slip and fall claims do you handle each year ?
- What kind of compensation is available to me ?
- Do you anticipate any potential defenses to my claim ?
- What are your fees ?
- When will I be expected to make payment ?
- Who will be available to provide me with updates on my case ?
Many personal injury law firms offer their services on a contingency basis, wherein you pay only if you win your case.
Slip and fall accident claims carry a heavy burden of proof. You must be able to prove the owner or occupier committed negligence by failing to maintain a reasonably safe premises. Evidence is crucial in proving negligence, liability and damages. Examples of evidence may include:
- photos of the accident site
(and particularly of the hazard, such as icy steps or a spilled liquid);
- medical reports ;
- witness statements ;
- video surveillance footage ;
- building maintenance records; and more.
A lawyer will also assume this time-consuming aspect of your claim. Do You Have a Valid Slip and Fall Accident Case? Our firm is ready to review your situation and answer your questions at no cost or obligation to you. Call us today at 905-265-1005 to schedule a time that is convenient for you, but don't wait too long. The law grants us a limited timeframe in which to file a claim against an negligent entity.